We need you and so does your planet!
Please help us!
We have been working hard at environmental awareness and education since 2012. Our aim was to build a network of Sussex people and families who help to sow seeds of change. Our network has gradually grown over the year, since documentaries like Blue Planet and Drowning in Plastic it has expanded rapidly. These fantastic documentaries have shocked the general public into action. It now feels like the tide has turned and people are waking up to the fact that there are too many people on this planet taking too much.
We have been warned by the UN and the world’s leading climate scientists that we have 12 years to reduce our carbon emissions, to avoid out of control and iriversable climate change. So lets take advantage of the tide turning and work together. If we all make small changes, even that will make a collective big difference. So can you help us? It may be as little as a few hours a month or you may be able to offer more?
Here are a few examples of ways you might help:
- Volunteer co-ordinator! We already have a lot of people helping us and want to make sure they are volunteering on projects that ‘make their hearts sing’ and only doing as much as they want to do, ranging from one hour a month to full-time like us! Can you help?
- Manage data and send out occasional emailshots. Currently we use Mailchimp, but open to suggestions.
- Help sorting and dispatching our special single-use plastic recycling in Horsham and Coolham, Nr Billingshurst.
- Promoting our single-use plastic recycling scheme.
- Open doors in West Sussex schools for us to deliver free assemblies and lessons.
- Find opportunities for us to talk about recycling, inspirational upcycing, climate change, environmental education, the Horsham Repair Cafe, greener living strategies etc.
- Help us at the Horsham Repair Cafe, which we run with the Horsham Quakers and about 60 volunteers. It might be meeting and greeting visitors, fixing electrical appliances, phones, computers, clothes, helping with refreshments and or giving visitors ideas for making changes to a more sustainable way of life.
- Promote the Horsham Repair Cafe to your friends, family, colleagues and community.
- Organising and promoting quarterly clothes swaps at the Horsham Repair Cafe.
- In partnership with Big Clean Switch we offer a clean 100% renewable energy cost comparison and switching service. Promote it with friends, family, colleagues and your local community. The switch can take place from the comfort of an arm chair/home or we can help at the Horsham Repair Cafe.
- Social media communications using one or all of these channels: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, currently we mainly use Facebook.
- Promote one or both of our 2019 Horsham District Year of Culture projects, see below and the linked pages.
- And or make a piece of ocean street art.
- Support a group in making a piece of street art.
- Help plan a display in Horsham Library, dates below.
- And/or carry out a social media campaign when we #OceanBomb Horsham District! Learn more here www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/oceanbombed.
- Make eco bricks for the Share, Care and Repair Fair to help to show people how much single use plastic we use and that eco bricks are not the solution in developed countries. Learn more about our thoughts on eco bricks here.
Community Eco Ocean Art - from now until 6th July (or any period within). The display in Horsham library represents Waste Week 16th – 23rd March (18th March is Global Recycling Day).
Share, Care and Repair Fair – promote in the run up to the Fair and/or help on Saturday 6th July in Horsham Market. The display in Horsham Library 1st – 7th June (5th June is World Environment Day and 8th June is World Oceans Day)
If you are interested in helping us please either email us using our contact us page or call Carrie Cort on 07768 212833.