SUSSEX GREEN LIVING ASKS THE PEOPLE OF SUSSEX TO HELP THEM IN THEIR EFFORTS TO WIN THE BISCUIT WRAPPER ROUNDUP AND A SHARE OF £1,000 IN CHARITY PRIZES
Sussex Green Living is competing in the UK wide Biscuit Wrapper Roundup – a recycling fundraising competition to see who can save the most used biscuit wrappers from landfill……..
17th May 2013: Sussex Green Living a voluntary initiative to help increase environmental awareness are on a mission to help reduce landfill waste. Founded by Carrie Cort, Marketing Director at Take One Productions (UK) Ltd a video production company in Horsham. Carrie and her team are competing in The Biscuit Wrapper Roundup, a nationwide six month collection contest from the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade, a recycling fundraising scheme which aims to save as many used biscuit wrappers from local landfill as possible. The top twenty collectors nationwide will win a combined £1,000 worth of charity donations, so Sussex Green Living are asking the people of Horsham and surrounding area to help them with their collections and attempts to be crowned the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup champions.
Whilst biscuit wrappers are recyclable, West Sussex County Council are unable to recycle them as they simply do not have the infrastructure or a commercially viable demand for this waste resource. This results in billions of biscuit wrappers needlessly being sent to UK landfill. This prompted McVitie’s and recycling experts TerraCycle to join together in June 2012 to launch an innovative solution for UK consumers in the form of the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade. The scheme encourages consumers across the UK to help end this enormous waste of resources, by using freepost labels to send in any brand of used biscuit wrappers to be recycled into everyday products such as watering cans, garden benches and waste bins.
Every active McVitie’s® Biscuit Wrapper Brigade® location such as Sussex Green Living in Horsham are automatically entered into the contest. At the end of the contest, the twenty top collectors will win contributions of £250, £150, £50, or £20 to their chosen school, charity or non-profit organisation. In addition the Grand Prize winning location and First Runner Up will also receive a hamper full of McVitie’s biscuits.
As well as working towards becoming the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup winners the collectors at Sussex Green Living earn two TerraCycle points for the weight of each biscuit wrapper of any brand they send in for recycling. Each point can be redeemed for a 1 pence contribution, Sussex Green Living’s beneficiary being the William Penn Primary School in Coolham.
Mrs Carrie Cort commented: “We recently joined the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade, and are looking to make a real impact in the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup Collection Contest. We also collect on the BIC Writing Instruments Brigade, the Ella’s Kitchen Brigade, JOHNSON’S Baby Wipes Packaging Brigade, The Activia Yoghurt Brigade, the Kenco Coffee Packaging Brigade, Tassimo Brigade, Mobile Phone Brigade and the Laptop Brigade”. More information can be found here.
“Whilst we have a good network of friends and family who already save their used biscuit wrappers for us, the wider communities of Horsham and surrounding areas can really help us increase our chances of being a Biscuit Wrapper Roundup winner. Plus together we can save considerably more waste from landfill which is good for the local environment. Simply drop off your used biscuit wrappers, coffee packaging, pens, baby food pouches, baby wipe packaging of any brand plus Activia, Actimel and Shape yogurt pots and Tassimo TDISCS to our Sussex Green Living branded bin in the car park of Take One Productions at 154-156 Crawley Road, Horsham, RH12 4DT and we will happily send them in as part of our recycling collections.” To learn more about these recycling schemes and other drop off locations visit: http://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/recycling-zone.
How Do Other Local People Take Part?
The contest runs from Monday 8th April 2013 at 9am to Monday 7th October 2013 at 6pm. Anyone can collect as part of the Sussex Greener Living recycling scheme which will financially benefit the William Penn Primary School. Or set up your own recycling scheme by visiting www.terracycle.co.uk and join the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade. If you do not live near one of our recycling points, you could collect biscuit wrappers and then we could email you a freepost address label to stick to your box so you can dispatch direct to Terracycle.
There will be regular Top Twenty Leaderboards and Facebook updates will be made throughout the contest by TerraCycle so participants can see how well they are doing.
For more information and to sign up for the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade / the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup Collection Contest please see www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/brigades/mcvities-biscuit-wrapper-brigade.html.
– ENDS –
Notes to Editors
How the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade Works
- Interested parties can sign up for free at www.terracycle.co.uk, once signed up the participant can choose a school, charity or non-profit organisation to receive the money earned
- Once their account is established, the collector needs to fill any envelope or box with used biscuit wrappers. Once they have collected enough biscuit wrappers they can print a pre-paid Royal Mail label from their account page and return their box to TerraCycle free of charge
- Once received back by TerraCycle the shipments are weighed before being processed. For shipments that weigh at least 0.16 kg (approximately 50 wrappers), the sender earns two TerraCycle points for the weight of each wrapper. Each point can be redeemed for a 1 pence* contribution for the school or charity of the senders choice or towards a range of charitable gifts available from TerraCycle’s charity partners. Consumers are free to send in shipments weighing less than 0.16 kg weight of biscuit wrappers but no TerraCycle points will be received
- Every six months TerraCycle adds up all the money redeemed and sends a cheque to all the designated charities, schools and non-profit organisations
- For more information about the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade please visit www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/brigades/mcvities-biscuit-wrapper-brigade.html
The Biscuit Wrapper Roundup Collection Contest
The twenty locations with the highest collections on the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade at the end of the contest will win prizes as follows:
- The Grand Prize Winner will be awarded 25,000 TerraCycle points in their TerraCycle account, redeemable for a £250 contribution to the school or charity of their choice. In addition, the winning location will be given a McVitie’s hamper full of biscuits!
- The First Runner Up will be awarded 15,000 points in their TerraCycle account, redeemable for a £150 contribution to the school or charity of their choice and a McVitie’s hamper.
- The Third to Tenth placed winners will be awarded 5,000 points in their TerraCycle account, redeemable for a £50 contribution to the school or charity of their choice.
- The Eleventh to Twentieth placed winners will be awarded 2,000 points in their TerraCycle account, redeemable for a £20 contribution to the school or charity of their choice.
The top twenty collection locations will all also receive an award certificate to celebrate their collection accomplishments. In the case of a tie, locations will split the TerraCycle points evenly with both receiving winner’s certificates.
For more detailed rules on the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup Collection Contest, please refer to the Terms & Conditions at http://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/pages/78/.
About Sussex Green Living
Sussex Green Living is a voluntary community initiative consisting of a website, green network and children’s educational club, the objective being to inspire people in Sussex to lead a greener and more sustainable life.
Sussex Green Living aims to educate parents, children, carers and teachers about nature, wildlife and ways in which we can protect our planet for future generations. The www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/ website contains sustainable living tips, reduce, reuse and recycling information, green art, events, videos, green space and walks ideas and much more.
For further details see www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/.
Founded in 2001, TerraCycle is the world’s leader in the collection and reuse of non-recyclable post-consumer waste. TerraCycle works with over fifty major brands in 22 countries across the globe to collect used packaging and products (crisp bags, candy wrappers, juice pouches, pens, toothbrushes, etc.) that would otherwise be destined for landfills. It repurposes that waste into new eco-friendly materials and products. The waste is collected through TerraCycle’s Brigade programmes, which are free fundraisers that pay schools, charities and non-profit organisations for every piece of waste they collect and return.
TerraCycle launched in the UK (www.terracycle.co.uk) in September 2009 where it currently runs recycling programmes for biscuit wrappers, writing instruments, coffee packaging, yogurt pots and bottles, baby food pouches, baby wipes packaging, mobile phones, laptops and tablets. To date in the UK TerraCycle has saved over 11 million pieces of waste packaging from landfill, raising over £164,000 for schools, charities and non-profit organisations.
About United Biscuits
- UB is the leading manufacturer and marketer of biscuits in the UK and second largest in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Ireland.
- UB manufactures and markets a wide range of products in the UK and Continental Europe that are household names in their respective markets. Branded products accounted for approaching 90% of sales in 2012.
- Among UB’s popular brand names are McVitie’s, Penguin, go ahead!, McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s, Jacob’s Cream Crackers, Twiglets, Mini Cheddars and Carr’s in the UK, and BN, Delacre, Verkade and Sultana in Continental Europe.
- McVitie’s is among the best known brands in the UK. UB’s branded biscuits were purchased by 90% of UK households in 2012.
- UB owns and operates 12 manufacturing facilities of which 7 are in the UK.
For further press information, to speak someone from Sussex Green Living / TerraCycle or high resolution versions of the Biscuit Wrapper Roundup Collection Contest logo / images in the press release please contact Stephen Clarke at TerraCycle on 020 8 7997 423 / email@example.com.