These are really easy to make!
Let your imagination run wild when making these cute little egg cup creatures. Children can use whatever colours they like to create their own fun designs!
This green art is free and upcycles egg boxes.
What you’ll need:
- Cardboard egg box
- Pipe cleaners, any colours will do
- Craft knife, small scissor, or sharp pencil
- White craft glue
- Medium and large pom-poms
- Wiggle eyes
How to make it:
- Have an adult cut egg cups out of egg carton. Paint in various colours of your choice and let dry, see photo.
- While egg cups are drying, create insect wings by cutting and bending pipe cleaners into various different shapes, see photo.
- Have an adult use a small scissor, sharp pencil, or craft knife to poke a hole in each side of the egg cup, insert wings into the holes. If you want the wings farther back on the body, poke the holes closer together, see photo.
- Turn egg cup upside down and bend ends of pip cleaners against the side of the cup to help hold them in place, see photo.
- Using two large pom-poms for heads or one medium pom-pom for bulging eyes, glue them to the fronts of the egg cups, see photo.
- Use pipe cleaners for legs and antennae. Antennae can be glued right to the pom-pom head. Legs can be inserted in the sides of the egg cup in the same fashion as the wings.
- Glue on wiggle eyes on the pom-poms to complete the face.
- You can decorate your insects even more by adding polka dots. Just dip the handle end of a paintbrush into a contrasting colour of paint and dot on.
- Foam egg cups can be used as well, but the cardboard soaks up the paint better though.
- Coloured wiggle eyes are available at your local craft supply store.
Have fun, enjoy!