Last Saturday saw the eight virtual Horsham Climate Cafe since lockdown (our first was on 27th March). This last session focused on ways we can get more solar on schools, reducing their electricity costs, going green with their energy and helping provide energy education. Shannon from Solar for Schools explained how they can help, learn more about Solar for Schools, see Shannon’s presentation below or contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07710483123
Here are a few other ways schools can green up:
- Schools may also be interested to know about the energy efficiency interest-free loans available to them https://www.salixfinance.co.uk/loans/schools-loans (this SEELS programme is funded by the Department for Education)
- A free energy efficiency programme will be running for schools that they might like to get involved with, consisting of four afternoon workshops http://www.lessco2.org.uk/. The existing cancelled programme will restart in October, other schools can still join it.
- (Side note – but raised in our session!) Help us spread the word about the brilliant eco-art competition we are running with the South Downs National Park! It is entitled ‘Clean-Up and Create a Bright New Future’ and encourages 5-16-year-olds to create an eco-art piece or a poster, with 16 x £150 prices to be won https://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/environmental-education-for-lockdown-victims/
- Another idea for greening up West Sussex….write to the Cabinet Member for the Environment email@example.com, copying in your local county councillor and suggesting that WSCC might like to team up with https://www.solartogether.co.uk/landing, which is a group-buying scheme to get cheaper and more solar on houses in West Sussex
Last Saturday’s Climate Café also marked the last session before our revamped HCC schedule! Starting in June, our new format is as follows:
- On the first Saturday of every month, 2-3 pm, we will hold a topical feature eventon Zoom with a speaker followed by a question and answer session/discussions. This will start up on Saturday 6th June and will be centred around StayCations, SlowCations and Ethical Travel. This will continue until we can resume our usual 2-4 pm sessions in person! (INSERT EVENTBRITE LINK?)
- Every Tuesday 7-8pm(including the week of our speaker sessions), we will have more local discussions on Zoom, focusing on the local community and how to build a new ‘normal’. We’d like to see if we can work together among action groups to create a bigger voice, support one another projects and drive change. It would be great if each session could be themed, and we encourage local groups to come forward and take the lead in these sessions, giving short talks on their area of special local interest and prompting relevant discussions and actions.
- These Tuesday sessions will start up ‘officially’ as of June 2nd, however, we are having our first session on the 19thMay to form more of a plan going forward and to develop the idea of a Horsham Future Forum, which you are very welcome and encouraged to join
- Booking for all our online sessions will continue to be run through Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/sussex-green-livinghorsham-climate-cafe-30023845980
- There is also the potential for a youth breakout group in these Tuesday sessions if the demand is there
- For more information, please see our webpage, where you will also find details and links to all the blogs, videos and podcasts from our previous 8 sessions https://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/horsham-climate-cafe/#2
Lastly, (and at very short notice!) – if anyone is interested in low-carbon transport systems, there is a webinar today at 1 pm hosted by Ethex that you may be interested in. They will discuss what action is needed to make a low-carbon transport system a reality for the UK in the near future, and will look at some of the innovative organisations who are working to build the infrastructure needed to ensure the UK can move to a low-carbon sustainable transport system following the COVID-19 outbreak. You can sign up with this link here – https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rtHl-yPLSsWxZLuqDexN-Q?mc_cid=823ef09e21&mc_eid=d04b94d45d.
Thank you all for attending, and we hope you had a lovely weekend.
Carrie, Helen, Chloe, Catherine, Katherine and the Climate Café Team
Feeling inspired to get involved?
We are always looking for volunteers, so get in touch or come and meet us and see how you can get involved! Join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or sign up to receive our latest news (it only takes two seconds to add your email address – simply click on black ‘Follow‘ tab on bottom right of this screen!). Feel free to also send us an email using our contact form, or come and say hello at our events like the Horsham Climate Cafe or the Horsham Repair Cafe!