Procedure for setting up a Sussex Green Living
micro-single-use plastic recycling location:
If you decide to become a Sussex Green Living ‘micro-single-use plastic recycling location’, you would be diverting these waste resources from landfill/incinerator and helping us recycle them into new goods. The waste resources are dispatched through our account using pre-paid address labels to TerraCycle an innovative recycling company that has become a global leader in recycling hard-to-recycle materials. We have been running this service since 2012.
What would this involve?
- Decide which of the single use plastics from our list you would like to advertise for people in your community to collect https://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/recycling-zone/single-use/. If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see TerraCycle posters which explain in more detail the waste resources on our list.
- Find some volunteers to co-ordinate, monitor, sort and dispatch the waste resources.
- Decide how many bins you are going to collect the waste resources in. At one school they just collect and dispatch crisp packages, however at another school we collect everything and have 5 bins – 1 for crisp packets, 1 for Tassimo coffee pods and packaging, 4. for bottle tops, 1 for dog and cat food packaging and the final bin for the other mixed resources.
- For our single use plastic drop off locations in Horsham District we are able to borrow bins from HDC and then the parish can brand them showing what people can put in them. If outside this area you could ask the recycling team in your district if they would lend you some bins.
- Collect as required second-hand boxes to dispatch the waste resources in.
- When you have a box or some boxes ready to dispatch, if sending to TerraCycle through the Sussex Green Living account, let us know how many boxes and which waste resources you want to dispatch and we will email you the appropriate pre-paid address. Print and apply to your box(s) and then you or one of your volunteers will need to take the box(s) to your nearest USP location, found here https://www.ups.com/dropoff/.
- Note: Inkjet cartridges, aluminium ring pulls, mobile phones and neckties if collected need to be delivered to Carrie Cort. They are not recycled through TerraCycle.
- If you are collecting just for our Sussex Green Living recycling scheme each volunteer is asked to complete a volunteer agreement. The ‘lead’ within your ‘micro-site’ needs to read, sign and return our risk assessment, then you and your volunteers are covered by our insurance and waste transfer licence. All proceeds from the recycling are split between the William Penn School in Coolham and our charity Sussex Green Living.
When you are able to confirm that you are ready to start collecting we will put you in touch with one of our volunteers who can induct you or your co-ordinator(s) in what can be o collected, minimum and maximum weights etc. At our main location in Horsham every Wednesday we have a team of volunteers who meet to sort and package the waste resources, you could go and see the team in action. There are probably about 30 volunteers helping with our single use plastic recycling, they have been named the Sussex Green Living Wombles! Here are some photos of the Wombles and latest statistics https://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/stunning-single-use-plastic-stats/
We have drop off locations in Horsham, Coolham, Thakeham, Storrington (once a week at the community market), Slinfold, Henfield, Pulborough, Amberley, Warnham, Kingsfold, Nuthurst and Mannings Heath, with talk of other locations. Many of these ‘micro-drop off locations’ have been set up by the parish council. It is a good idea to get the local school or nursery involved, they are good places for the bins and will be able to help spread the word. We are able to deliver a free assembly and lessons in the school to help launch the new recycling service for the village or town, learn more here https://www.sussexgreenliving.co.uk/green-education/
When you are ready to progress your ‘micro-drop off’ location do get in contact with Carrie on Cort@sussexgreenliving.co.uk.