Laptops/Computers/Mobile Phone repairs
Here are the sorts of things we can help with:
- Diagnosis of laptop, PC, tablet & mobile phone problems and we can often fix many software issues on the day.
- If upgrades and spare parts are needed, we can give you an idea of the cost of supply and repairs.
- We can give you creative suggestions for re-using the tech you already own.
- Giving impartial advice on buying new tech wisely.
- Advice on data security, removing information safely from old devices and how to carry out a factory reset.
- Advice on backing up your data to keep it safe.
- Antivirus, phishing ransomware and scams, what you need to know.
- Dust, and how it can destroy your device.
- Updates and how to update your device, the pitfalls of using obsolete software.
- Advice on where to donate your old tech.
Things we can’t help with:
- We cannot break passwords or log in to locked devices.
- Reuse Apple products that are still associated with or locked to an Apple ID.
- Work on anything that looks damaged where injury to life is possible. e.g. dangerous electrical problems, leaking batteries etc.
- Broken or cracked mobile phone screens – you will need to take these to a phone shop to get them fixed.
When bringing items in for repair please make sure they are clean and ready to be looked at (please bring connecting cables and chargers etc.)
If you have a laptop, phone or computer that you would like to have repaired or would like some advice on, please book a time slot (booking link below).
Please note, there will be no service available on 25th September.
We are now booking 30-minute appointment times in the mornings for repairs so that you can be seen on time and that we can see a larger number of people for repairs. If we are unable to fix something within the time booked, the volunteer may agree to take it home to fix it, or if more extensive work is required that needs payment, they can discuss that with you. This is most likely to happen with the computer repairs.
We will be offering a few time slots in the afternoon for drop-ins, but it will be on a first-come, first-served basis and you may not get seen.